Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I know, I know!

I know I need to blog! A few people have mentioned it lately. I've been trying really hard not to spend too much time at the computer lately. I've been trying to keep my house clean and have done a pretty good job with it, but it's gotten a little out of hand these past couple of days. I realize that keeping a clean house isn't the most important thing, but it has always been a struggle for me. One side of me is a perfectionist that wants a place for everything. The other side of me (the tired and lazy side) just says "I can do that tomorrow when I have more time." And it only gets worse-and I know exactly what will happen. Tomorrow will be one of the craziest days because one of the kids isn't feeling good and I've got to go do this and that and it never works out. But anyway-I've been doing really good for the past 3 weeks or so. We are fixing our bathroom and can only really work on it on Saturdays so it's stuck being kind of dirty. It throws me off because I love to see my clean and orderly bathroom and bedroom. It's relaxing. Soon though, maybe!

Ema had a rough morning today. She has had 2 cavities that we've known about since November I think. I tried to get her in sooner, and if I would have known how hard it was to get them in, I would have tried harder. I finally got her appointment for today. We made this appointment in January. I should have just taken her to Midland or something just to get it done. Last week they were really bothering her, so this morning she was ready, even excited, to have it taken care of. I told her she would have to have a shot, but she said she didn't care. We had x-rays that the visiting dentist for the school had taken but she had to take new ones to see if the decay was worse. It was, on both sides and she had a small cavity on one of her bottom teeth. So she had the nitrous gas and then he gave her shots (without numbing the spot which I thought they usually did). She winced and quietly cried. He waited long enough I thought and then came and filled the one cavity. Then he pulled the other two teeth. It's hard to watch someone tugging and pulling in your child's mouth. He was very caring though-when she was whimpering he stopped and asked her if she was okay, and called her baby and was real sweet with her. He thought she said she was okay, but with her mouth open it's hard to tell. I thought she was okay too. Finally he was done and I was standing next to her. She said she wasn't okay, but still couldn't talk because of all the gauze in her mouth. When we finally got out to the car, she just let it all out. She said only her lips were numb. I asked her if she could feel her teeth with her tongue and she said she could feel like normal. Usually my tongue will be numb. I'm sure she was a little numb, but not near what she should have been. I felt horrible-one, because I hadn't gotten her in sooner, maybe her teeth could have been saved, and two because she had to endure that much pain. She is doing a lot better now though. Her cheeks are a little swollen. She's got 2 really gross, rotten teeth to put under her pillow. She thought she'd probably only get a penny for one since it was so bad! She does brush her teeth, usually twice a day (sometimes we get lazy at night and would rather just get them to bed) But I think we are going to be more diligent about it, with all of them because I don't want them to go through all this. I know she eats a lot of sugar-not near as much as some kids, I try to limit it, but I guess she is just more prone to cavities-kinda like her parents.

I think I've spent enough time typing this. I have a hard time writing a short blog. I better get to work!

4 comments:

Arly said...

OH NO!! She's such a brave girl to take two pullings and a filling with only a wimper!!
I just want to hug her now! Poor girlio.

Where they baby teeth?

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

Wow...I am one of those people who is terrified of going to the dentist every time so I was squirming just reading this. Glad she is on the mend. Hope whoever wasn't feeling well is better now and you are able to have a good weekend.

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

I meant to share this site with you earlier when I commented but forgot. This lady is great for helping keep up with daily household stuff-- www.flylady.com. You may already be aware of the site. I don't stick with everything she says, but for the most part it has really helped me keep up better than I used to around the house. It is a little overwhelming, I would start at the "getting started" part.
I think all moms with little ones have these same "household" struggles. You're so not alone! I am right there with ya.

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

Okay...one more thing and then I promise I'll leave you alone. I have been having HUGE email issues so I don't know if my "thank you" email ever reached you. But, I did want to tell you thank you so much for Jonathan's bday gift-- they both LOVE it. It is the coolest bath toy I have ever seen. Also, I love the B&B stuff! I have wanted that scent for soooo long and am enjoying it very much! That was so thoughtful of you. Thanks again!