Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Your opinions

I just wanted to see what everyone thought about this subject. We are still trying to figure out names for the new baby. It's not consuming our every thoughts or anything-just a nagging, we-need-to-get-that-done kind of thing. First of all, I'm a little irritated that we have gone with the whole E thing because it's hard to find something that works all together. We didn't intend to have all E's. When I was pregnant with Eli, we had the name Elena picked out for a girl and something else for the boy. But that didn't work out and we ended up with Eli. Then we still really liked Elena so now we have all E's. Here is the main problem though. After Elena was born, Shellie was so kind and insightful to point this out! We have Ema Cheri, Eli Douglas, and Elena Elyse. EC, ED, & EE which was completely unplanned. So the question is, should we continue with this and use the initials EF for the next one. I think it's kind of neat, but at the same time, no one will really know unless we point it out. Plus it's hard to find a good E and F name. But I don't want someday to be saying "well we did have EC, ED, & EE but then EJ came along...." and have that one feel like they messed it up or something. Maybe that is over-thinking it, but you never know. So what does everyone else think? If you'd like to contribute ideas for E names as well, you can and they will be considered!

The other thing is-I'm feeling totally overwhelmed with my tasks now and the task ahead of me (raising four children) and I feel like my head is not screwed on straight much of the time. So the other day I was thinking maybe a palm pilot would help me to be a little better organized. I am a crazy to-do-list maker. I just have to see things. I would also like to use it for things like grocery lists, budget and money type things. I don't need it to stay connected to my clients or email or anything like that. Does anyone know what to look for with that? I found one called a Palm Z22 I think and that looked like what I was wanting-it also is compatible with our mac and pc so that is nice. Just curious if anyone had any insight on that.

I've got a lot to get done to get ready for our trip so I guess I better end here. Thanks for your opinions!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Syndi,

When we had our first two sons, we had great "DJ" names for them (David Jonathan, and Daniel Joseph). When Sam came along, we faced the same problem you have, so we chucked the "D" thing, picked Samuel and for good measure found another "J" for his middle name (Jacob). (By the way, the "J" is for Nyla's middle name, Jean. I don't think anyone knows that) No one ever asked about it as far as I can remember, and I don't think anyone will ask you about your kids' names, either. And if they do, you don't have to apologize or try to make them feel good about what you chose. THEY'RE YOUR KIDS, AFTER ALL!

I think it would be nice, if you have a boy, to name him after Daniel. Our family kind of got out of that practice because of the perceived problem of having blonde-haired, blue-eyed kids with Hispanic names. Besides, neither my dad or I go by our "real" names except when absolutely necessary.
That being said, it would still be neat to have Daniel's name carried on into another generation.

If it's a girl (and boy is that a possibility!!), pick something really nice (not cutesy), that the child will be able to wear well when she's older (just like Ema and Elena). Don't worry about the "E" and "F" thing. Just give the kid a good name and don't worry about it.

There are some good family names from previous generations that might be a good fit for a 21st century youngster, and this might be a possibility. It would give the kiddo something special to remember every time his/her name was spoken, and it would honor a special family member, whether still living or not.

I'm sorry this is so wordy. What can you expect from a preacher, huh? That's a view from the port (left) side of life. Hope it helps.

Sorry about the Palm Pilot thing. I don't have a clue about them, and probably wouldn't use it effectively if I had one. Although I think I'd dig an iPhone (if there's anyone out there who will take the hint!!!)

Love you lots. You're a great mommy and wife, and we're glad you're the one taking care of Daniel and our grandkids.

Pecos Dad (started to put Dad D., but that's your Dad, too!)

Nyla said...

Hi Syndi,

Trying to look at this from a child's perspective, I would rather have a nice name, lovingly chosen by my parents, than one that they came up with just because it needed to begin with certain letters. If you come up with EF names that you really love that's one thing but otherwise I'd just look for really nice names. The middle name thing was accidental so doesn't really need to continue. The E for the first name wasn't totally intentional either, so, just look for something you both like. You have to admit, a nice EF combination is almost impossible.

Love & Hugs, Pecos Mom

tracey said...

Syndi, I actually hadn't caught on to the EC, ED, EE thing. The fact that you didn't plan that blows my mind! I agree with what's been said, and that you shouldn't worry about it. If the 'EF' thing works out and you and Daniel love the name, then cool! I can see where you're coming from, but you know that anyone who knows and loves all of you won't even be thinking about all of that.

Having said all of that...the names 'Eric' and 'Erica' did pop into my mind, as well as the name 'Faith.' There's a man in our church named Enoch, which I think is actually pretty cool too.

Obviously, the most important thing this baby will need to know is that he or she is loved, and there is no question of that.