Friday, March 7, 2008

Birthdays and Bragging

Elena's birthday party went pretty well, I thought.  After I finally got lunch ready, it worked out well.  Ema did me a favor and wrapped all of Elena's presents that we got for her.  That was her "thing" on Saturday morning, and then she wouldn't let anyone else in her room because the presents were in there.  We are some of the suckers that feel like the other kids should get a little something too (from us-nobody else needs to feel like they have to do this!) partly because then they have something to play with and maybe they will leave the other kid's new toys alone for a little bit, and partly just because we don't want them to feel left out or something!  I know, they need to used to not getting something at every party!  Anyway-Ema ended up wrapping her own prince (not the artist-formally-known guy) doll-but nobody else could see theirs!  

When we started singing Happy Birthday to Elena, she started crying!  We weren't sure if it was because she didn't like all the attention or if we told her she couldn't blow out the candles yet.  By the time she started crying, we couldn't remember what anyone had actually said to her about the candles!  I was trying to get pictures loaded up, but can't get it to access my photo library.  What is wrong with me that I can't figure this out?  I thought I was pretty up on technology, but apparently not!

Fred and Nyla, Samantha and Kerry, and Shellie all traveled here to come to her party.  I thought it was pretty fun and it was nice to get to see everyone again.  My parents were also there for a little while.  Dad mowed our huge weeds for us and then his allergies were acting up. I felt bad about that.  Thank you though, Dad!

This morning, Ema got to "run the halls" at school because she accomplished her advanced reading goal.  She read through all of the AR books on her level.  She wasn't real sure about it before school today, but when she got there and did it, she had fun.  I really admire her strength because I know how dependent I am on other people, especially if I'm doing something new.  I always want someone to go with me the first time.  Maybe that's something little, but I think it's a big deal anyway.  The other kids that didn't make their goal stood outside the classroom and cheered the runners on.  It was neat to see and I know it made Ema feel good.  She was one of three kindergartners (out of 40 K's) that got to run.  She is quite the reader.  We were doing a little homework test last night where you write down the child's responses.  It is so easy for her, it's almost not worth doing.  Except that we are spending time together without fighting!  She corrected me on something that I wrote down.  I asked her what sound "v" makes and she told me.  I wrote "va" down because how else do you write a sound down?!  She said "no, it's not va, it's vvv."  I stand corrected!  

We may be going to Abilene this weekend so I guess I better get some things done.  I will try to figure out why I can't get to my photo library and post some pictures!


2 comments:

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

I have the same photo problem at times. Sometimes I drag the photo from iphoto onto the desktop. Then in Blogger, I just upload from the desktop. I don't know if that might work for you.
I still have her present. And yes, it is still in my car. We have one of those mailboxes that is in one big silver box for the whole block. It drives me crazy that the "outgoing mail" slot is only for letters, not packages. So, it will get to her eventually!

Arly said...

You're coming to Abilene this weekend!!???